By Katie Cunningham
Get useful directions for making your web site available to individuals with disabilities. With this guide, you’ll find out how to layout or advance a domain that conforms to part 508 of the united states Rehabilitation Act—and within the method you’ll notice how one can supply a greater person adventure for everyone.
The Accessibility Handbook introduces you to a number of audiences that experience hassle utilizing today’s advanced web pages, together with individuals with blindness, listening to loss, actual disabilities, and cognitive issues. the way to aid assistive applied sciences, and comprehend which fonts, shades, web page layouts, and different layout components paintings best—without having to exclude complicated features, lease outdoor aid, or considerably bring up overhead.
Develop suggestions that accommodate:
- Complete blindness. Create a logical record move to help display readers
- Low imaginative and prescient and colour blindness. Optimize photos and colour schemes, and make sure your website enlarges gracefully
- Hearing impairment. offer video captions and visible indicators for interactive features
- Physical disabilities. Make varieties, popups, and navigation more uncomplicated to use
- Cognitive disorders. Adapt fonts and textual content types for dyslexic clients, and layout constant, well-organized pages for individuals with ADHD
Read or Download Accessibility Handbook: Making 508 Compliant Websites PDF
Best user experience & usability books
Wie müssen Benutzungsschnittstellen komplexer Computersysteme gestaltet werden? Wovon hängt die Effizienz der Interaktion ab? was once macht die person adventure interaktiver Produkte aus? Diesen Fragen widmet sich die grundlegend überarbeitete zweite Auflage des Buchs Interaktive Systeme. Um vielfältigen Aspekten und tendencies gerecht zu werden, erscheint das Buch nun in zwei Bänden, vom Autorenteam in verständlicher, wissenschaftlich fundierter Weise geschrieben.
Die Hauptaufgabe eines Verkehrspiloten besteht darin, sein Flugzeug sicher von A nach B zu bringen. Dabei ist das Wissen um eine optimale Unfallprävention noch immer verbesserungsfähig. In dem Buch wird dargelegt, wann und unter welchen Umständen Unfälle passieren und wie sie sich vermeiden lassen. Demnach dient insbesondere das group Ressource administration (CRM) der Unfallprävention.
This publication constitutes the refereed complaints of the fifth IFIP WG thirteen. 2 overseas convention on Human-Centered software program Engineering, HCSE 2014, held in Paderborn, Germany, in September 2014. The thirteen complete papers and 10 brief papers awarded including one keynote have been conscientiously reviewed and chosen from 35 submissions.
Each fashion designer has needed to justify designs to non-designers, but so much lack the power to provide an explanation for themselves in a manner that's compelling and fosters contract. the facility to successfully articulate layout judgements is necessary to the good fortune of a undertaking, as the such a lot articulate individual frequently wins.
- The Locales Framework: Understanding and Designing for Wicked Problems (Computer Supported Cooperative Work)
- Case-Based Reasoning Research and Development: 22nd International Conference, ICCBR 2014, Cork, Ireland, September 29, 2014 - October 1, 2014. Proceedings (Lecture Notes in Computer Science)
- Systems, Software and Services Process Improvement: 23rd European Conference, EuroSPI 2016, Graz, Austria, September 14-16, 2016, Proceedings (Communications in Computer and Information Science)
- Augmented and Virtual Reality: First International Conference, AVR 2014, Lecce, Italy, September 17-20, 2014, Revised Selected Papers (Lecture Notes in Computer Science)
Additional resources for Accessibility Handbook: Making 508 Compliant Websites
Info CHAPTER 4 Physical Accessibility Physical accessibility is slightly different from visual and audio accessibility: the user can see the website and can hear all the audio, so information isn’t hidden from them. Making a website physically accessible often boils down to the actual usability of the website. How hard is it to navigate? Are applications frustrating to use? This, of all the types of accessibility, benefits the most, as the guidelines laid out make a better experience for even typical users.
Example 1-18. html' accesskey='n'>Next Now, when the user uses “n” with his access keys, he’ll automatically be sent to the next page. At the moment, the only official standard for access keys is from the UK, though international standards are emerging as more and more sites are choosing to use access keys, or are using frameworks that come with access keys already set up, like Plone or vBulletin. See Table 1-3 for some common access keys. Table 1-3. Common access keys Key Action 1 Home Page 2 Skip to content 3 Site Map 4 Search field focus 5 Advanced Search 6 Site navigation tree 9 Contact information 0 Access Key details As a side note, another popular convention is to assign the numbers to the navigation items on the global navigation, with one being the first item, and zero being the last.
If a sound is vital to using the feature, then a visual bell should be added, so that the user knows that something has happened. One method that is difficult to miss is changing the background to a contrasting color for a second, but a solution doesn’t need to be so drastic. Many web applications that make sound include a mute button. If a sound is vital to the application, the mute button might flash or display a message. If an interactive feature has any spoken text, it should follow the rules of videos and always display that text.